Thrift stores offer discount prices, era-spanning selection of clothes, furniture

Andrea Galvez said she buys everything from shoes to clothing at Goodwill.

For a homecoming dance in high school, the St. Clair Shores senior purchased a green beaded dress for only $8.25.

“It was perfect for the dance and after it was over, I took the dress back and donated it again,” she said.

She said she purchases about 80 percent of her T-shirts at either Goodwill- or Salvation Army-type shops.

Jessica Wilson, Sterling Heights junior, said she found one of her favorite accessories, a painted gold belt made from welded metal, at a thrift store.

“It’s just one of those things that look really cool,” Wilson said.

When she was younger she bought old prom dresses and wedding dresses and would run around the house playing dress-up.

“My mom would have to cut the dresses because I was way too small for the dress to be worn properly,” Wilson said.

Elkton senior Lauren Jade Senter said she found one of her favorite hooded sweaters among discount store racks.

“It’s really nice to shop at thrift stores, especially because there is a 10 percent discount at Goodwill,” she said. “It makes life a little easier,”

Other amenities

Whenever Galvez browses the aisles she keeps an eye out for video tapes to make use of her old television’s VHS tape deck.

“I enjoy it when I can find old Disney movies or even Backstreet Boys videos,” she said.

Her favorite purchase from the Salvation Army was a wooden orange padded chair, which she got for only $9.

It is a lot of fun shopping at the stores because you get a lot without having to pay a lot, she said.

Wilson said for Christmas every year, she likes to buy a really ugly vase for her mom, and shopping at the Salvation Army makes it easy for her to make the appropriate purchase.