Volleyball loses two of three at Milwaukee-Marquette Invitational

For 24 hours Friday, things looked good for the Central Michigan women’s volleyball team.

But Saturday was a different day and different result, with CMU losing a pair of matches against Wisconsin and Creighton to close out the Milwaukee-Marquette Invitational with a 1-2 record.

Senior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky finished the weekend with 48 kills and defensive specialist Jenna Coates had 36 digs.

The Chippewas played competitively with Wisconsin and Creighton, but lost both games by a 3-1 margin.

After tieing Creighton 1-1 in its third game of the weekend, CMU lost a pair of close sets to close the weekend 4-5 on the season.

Earlier in the day, the Chippewas were beat 3-1 by Wisconsin (8-0), 25-17, 22-25, 25-14 and 25-20. Junior Kaitlyn Schultz and sophomores Jocelyn VerVelde and Val DeWeerd combined for 26 kills and hit .350, while the rest of team hit just .032.

On Friday, CMU won its fourth consecutive game, sweeping Wisconsin-Milwaukee 27-25, 25-17 and 25-23. UW-Milwaukee (2-5) was held to .155 hitting, while Krupsky recorded a game-high 16 kills.

The Chippewas travel to Charleston, S.C., next weekend to compete in the College of Charleston Invitational.

CMU opens the tournament at 4:30 p.m. Friday against Radford and continues at 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday against North Florida and host College of Charleston.