Volleyball sweeps Radford; Krupsky records 1,000th kill

Senior Lauren Krupsky became the 13th player in school history to reach 1,000 kills Friday as the Central Michigan women's volleyball team swept Radford in its opening game of the Charleston Review Invitational in Charleston, S.C.

Runs were the name of the game for CMU, as three lengthy offensive spurts helped the Chippewas improve to 5-5 on the season.

After leading by two points in the first set, sophomores Val DeWeerd and Katie Schuette guided CMU on a 10-0 run to extend its lead and win the first set 25-12.

Similarly, a 7-1 run in the second set, helped by a couple of Radford attack errors, helped break a one-point set lead and give CMU a comfortable 2-0 match lead.

A slim 14-13 lead in the second set soon resulted in a 7-1 run for the Chippewas after four consecutive kills by junior Kaitlyn Schultz. They would hold on and win 25-21, finishing off a sweep and snapping the Highlanders' three-game winning streak.

Schultz and DeWeerd each finished with a game-high 12 kills, while Krupsky collected 10, including her 1,000th on the final point of the match. CMU hit .410 for the contest, limiting Radford to a .178 hitting percentage.

The team will continue in the Charleston Review Invitational at 10:30 a.m. against North Florida and 7:30 p.m. against host College of Charleston.