Annual medallion hunt begins with clues to be distributed throughout the week

The Homecoming medallion is missing again — and it’s up to students to recover it and claim their place of glory.

Several students are ready to scour campus to find the coveted medallion.

“I searched my butt off last year and I came so close,” said Flushing sophomore Melanie Smith. “This year, I’m definitely going to find that medallion.”

Smith searched with Thorpe Hall last year, but said this time she will search as an individual.

“If I find it, I’ll either give the points I win for finding it to Thorpe or to my sorority,” she said.

Smith said University President George Ross met with the Panhellenic Council to encourage them to increase their participation in Homecoming week from previous years.

Last year’s winners in Larzelere Hall remain confident about repeating their success.

“We’re usually front-runners because we have honors students, so we get a lot more participation,” said Allison Liberty, Larzelere Hall Council president and Farmington Hills sophomore. “This year is the most participation we’ve ever had, so I would say our chances are pretty good.”

Coordinator of Student Activities Damon Brown is looking forward to another successful hunt.

“It’s always very fun and exciting,” Brown said. “The teams have gotten very creative, so it will be interesting to see what this year holds.”

Brown said he was reluctant to reveal any details, but he said there are always three basic clues: It is on main campus, it is in a public place and you will not have to dig or swim to find it.

The first clue was released on Twitter, Facebook and the Homecoming website 10 p.m. Sunday. Social media was first incorporated into the hunt last year.

“I think it has definitely increased participation,” said Tony Voisin, assistant dean and director of student life.

He said the use of social media has added more fun to the event since the distribution of clues used to be much more basic in design.

“We have another great hiding spot this year,” Voisin said. “Just have fun with it and don’t go too crazy.”