Chippewas lose fourth in a row, fall to 0-3 in conference

The Central Michigan women's volleyball team dropped its fourth consecutive match and fell to 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference Friday with a 3-1 loss against Ball State at Worthern Arena in Muncie, Ind.

The Chippewas (6-9, 0-3 MAC) came out strong and bolted to a 5-1 advantage in the first set, but the Cardinals stormed back to close the gap to one and make the score 7-6.

With the score knotted at 10, BSU rattled off three consecutive points to make it 13-10. They would eventually lead by as many as six, 20-13, before winning the set 25-21.

CMU rebounded in the second set, taking a 9-8 lead on a Kaitlyn Schultz kill and never relinquished it for the remainder of the set. BSU led by as many as eight before winning the set 25-18, evening the match at one.

That, however, was about as far as the good fortune would go. The Cardinals won the third set in decisive fashion by a score of 25-10 and took an early 9-4 lead in the fourth.

The Chippewas would close the gap to three, 12-9, on a Lauren Krupsky kill, but never threatened after that. Ball State pulled away to win the set 25-17 and send the Chippewas to an 0-3 conference mark.

Krupsky was the only Chippewas player with double digit kills (13). Schultz added nine. Senior Lisa Johnson had 14 digs.

Kylee Baker and Whitney Herres each had 13 kills for Ball State (12-3, 2-1 MAC).

CMU looks for its first conference win at 3 p.m. Saturday when it travels to Toledo.