Chippewas sweep Bowling Green

sara-volleyball

The Central Michigan women’s volleyball team ended its five-match losing skid Friday with a sweep of Bowling Green at Finch Fieldhouse.

CMU (8-11, 2-5 Mid-American Conference) routed BGSU in three consecutive sets straight sets, winning 25-12, 25-22 and 25-21.

Senior Lauren Krupsky lead the team with 10 kills. She said getting this win will be important in determining how the second half of the Mid-American Conference schedule plays out.

“We get to get over that hump we had, now we get to move forward for the next half of the MAC,” Krupsky said.

The Chippewas jumped out to an early 10-4 lead in the first set and never looked back, getting offensive production from junior Kelsey Detweiler and sophomore outside hitter Lindsey Dulude.

CMU cruised through the second set, not allowing the Falcons to take a lead. Bowling Green came back in the third set, taking a 15-11 lead following a pair of CMU attack errors. But the Chippewas would go on a 9-2 run and reclaim the lead, capping off the sweep.

Junior setter Catherine Ludwig aided CMU in its win by leading the way with 36 assists. Head coach Erik Olson said the win was solid across the board.

“That was a good win for Catherine Ludwig to set us through that,” Olson said. “She was consistent and I was happy with her performance.”

Serving also proved to be key in the win. CMU spent the last of week practice focusing on serving issues that hampered the team last weekend against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. The team combined for 11 aces, while committing only nine errors.

Paige Penrod had 18 kills while Ashley Dunn had 15 digs for Bowling Green (6-15, 1-6 MAC).

CMU looks to build upon the win when it plays Miami (OH) at 7 p.m. Saturday at Finch Fieldhouse.