CMU beats Ball State, still a game out of first in MAC standings

The CMU women’s soccer team improved its Mid-American Conference record to 9-1 Sunday after beating Ball State 2-0 in Muncie, Ind.

The Chippewas (12-4-1 overall) suffered their first defeat in MAC play Friday when they lost to Toledo, but CMU was able to bounce back and beat Ball State in the team’s final regular season road game.

Sophomore forward Laura Twidle provided the scoring, netting her fifth and sixth goals of the season. She scored the first goal of the game in the 12th minute on an assist from sophomore midfielder Ashley Mejilla.

Both teams had to endure an hour-long lightning delay prior to the second half, but it didn’t slow CMU down, as it kept its composure and controlled the tempo in the second half.

Twidle added her second goal of the day in the 63rd minute on a penalty kick after Ball State committed a foul in the box. Twidle’s six goals and 14 points lead the team.

Head coach Tom Anagnost said his team has responded well after coming off a loss. CMU is 2-1-1 following a defeat this season.

He said he was happy with how his team matched Ball State’s physicality and aggressive play.

“It was a very different match because it was extraordinarily physical,” he said. “A couple girls kept their composure while they dealt with how the opponent was playing. I’m proud of how they handled that.”

The physical play came to a head in the 61st minute when a BSU player was given a red card, giving the Chippewas a one-player advantage the rest of the game.

Including the red card, the teams combined for 35 fouls, and Ball State was charged with three yellow cards. CMU was able to capitalize playing 11-on-10, with Twidle’s goal two minutes after the red card was assessed.

Anagnost said he is impressed with Twidle’s offensive performance this season.

“She’s a clinical finisher. I wish we had more like that in front of the goal,” he said. “She puts the ball where she wants to, and hopefully other players on the team can emulate that.”

CMU has put a lot of pressure on opponents with its offensive attack. It outshot the Cardinals 24-7 on Sunday, while holding a 6-1 advantage on corner kicks. In the loss Friday against Toledo, the Chippewas outshot the Rockets 23-4 with a 7-2 edge on corners.

The Chippewas return to action at 3 p.m. Thursday in the regular season finale against Eastern Michigan at the CMU Soccer Complex.