CMU sweeps Kent State

The Central Michigan women's volleyball team bounced back from a tough loss on Thursday and swept Kent State Saturday night at the M.A.C. Center in Kent, Ohio.

The Chippewas won the match by scores of 25-13, 25-17 and 25-13.

“The other night was a tough loss, but moving on from match to match has been key for us,” said head coach Erik Olson.

The win evened their record at 12-12 overall and 6-6 in the Mid-American Conference.

In the first set, KSU hung around for a while before CMU made a run. With the score 14-10 in favor of the Chippewas, a kill by sophomore Lindsey Dulude gave them a five-point advantage and would set off an eight point run and put the score at 22-11. They would win the match and take a 1-0 match lead.

Kent State provided a little more competition in the second set, taking a 13-12 lead. But Dulude would again spark a CMU attack with back-to-back kills, giving it a 14-13 lead and a 13-4 run to win the set and take a commanding 2-0 match lead.

In the third set, they played like a team that wanted the sweep. While the Golden Flashes hung around early, CMU overmatched them as a kill from junior middleblocker Kaitlyn Schultz (nine kills) gave it a 20-9 lead and eventual sweep. Sophomore Jocelyn VerVelde recorded the team's final four kills.

“We played really good team ball tonight," Olson said. "We pretty much did whatever we wanted.”

Dulude led a balanced CMU attack with 12 kills while senior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky added 10. Sophomore Katie Schuette had nine kills and one dig.

Freshman Jenna Coates lead the defensive effort with 10 digs while senior Lisa Johnson added eight for the match.

Setter Catherine Ludwig had a game-high 40 assists.

The Chippewas return home next weekend for their final two regular season home matches when they face Toledo at 7 p.m. Thursday and Ball State at 7 p.m. Saturday at Finch Fieldhouse.