COLUMN: CMU has good shot to win MAC tournament

Regardless of the standings, the Central Michigan women’s soccer team remains my pick to win the Mid-American Conference tournament.

I’ve disregarded any team from the MAC East Division winning the conference tournament — it doesn’t have a single team above .500 in conference play — and you can add Ball State, Western Michigan and Northern Illinois in there as well.

Ball State hasn’t won a conference game, junior forward Stephanie Skowneski is the only go-to player Western Michigan has and Northern Illinois has been outscored 10-1 against the top three teams in the MAC West.

That leaves three.

Eastern Michigan is currently third in the MAC West, but only lost 1-0 against first place Toledo and looks to compare itself against CMU on Thursday at 3 p.m. at the CMU Soccer Complex.

On Friday, the women’s soccer team suffered its first MAC loss of the season on a penalty kick at Toledo. The two were tied at 8-0 atop the conference in a game that had a conference championship atmosphere.

Toledo should run the table after defeating them to hold on to the top spot in the MAC Tournament, but don’t crown the Rockets champions just yet.

The trophy belongs to the CMU until they lose it.

The penalty kick loss at Toledo was a heartbreaker, without a doubt. The Chippewas were a team riding high with a perfect MAC record and it was playing its best soccer of the season up to that point.

Nobody likes to lose. Especially at the collegiate or professional levels and if they do, there’s something wrong.

Instead of easily going undefeated in MAC play for a second straight season, the girls have been tested.

It’s always harder to repeat because the champions turn from the hunter to the hunted, but the Chippewas can do it.

An unfortunate break ended its undefeated MAC season, but it was one of its best played games.

Toledo was outshot 23-4 on its home field, but the Chippewas could not capitalize. They went onto the field of arguably the MAC’s best team and controlled the game. Soccer is a game where one play can make or break a team. Kudos to Toledo — they got it done when they needed to.

However, this might be a good loss for CMU. Call me crazy for saying it, but the girls of this soccer program are more poised and determined to prove themselves.

The first sign of it was the rebound performance against Ball State. Sophomore forward Laura Twidle brought the offense early and often. She scored twice and led the team.

The next step is to finish the season strong Thursday against EMU.

But, ultimately, CMU has it eyes on the MAC tournament and Nov. 7, the date of the championship game.