Fashion students take over the Wayside for apparel design competition

ark-threads-04
Andrew Kuhn/Staff Photographer Saline freshman and apparel merchandising and design major Kristine Opaleski works on her design at the bar during the Threads fashion show Wednesday night at Wayside Central located at 2000 S. Mission Street. "I'm making a button down with a ribbon, hoping to have a belt on it somewhere." said Opaleski.

Every girl wants a chance to strut her stuff on the runway.

The Fashion Association of Merchandising and Design hosted a fashion show fundraiser Wednesday at Wayside Central, 2000 S. Mission St.

Designers from the FAMD program were given a T-shirt at random, an object or accessory of some kind and were allowed to bring with them one yard of fabric. With only these ingredients and their design skills, the participants were left to create an outfit in one hour.

“This fundraiser will not only raise awareness for our group,” said Troy sophomore Alex Mauro, “but also showcase the talent a lot of our members have.”

All of the garments in the fashion show are hand stitched, which is very couture and takes a lot of time, said Jason Gagnon, Riverdale junior and Threads Producer.

He said the prizes this year than in previous years.

“The winner will get to have dinner with Seth Aaron from ‘Project Runway’ and their model fees will be waived,” Gagnon said.

Shelby Township sophomore Alicia Neverman said the winner will be announced Monday after votes are tallied.

While some FAMD members and friends danced the night away, designers and models scrambled behind the scenes trying to get their outfits put together.

For some, this was a brand new experience.

“This is the first time I’ve designed for this show,” said Harbor Springs sophomore Jennise Thurston, “so I’m kind of just winging it.”

When the time came for the modeling, the DJ cleared the dance floor and the girls walked out to the tune of Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.”

Ohio senior Kimberly Hodson went for a speedy technique as she designed her outfit.

“My plan is to sew as fast as possible and try not to get too complex,” Hodson said. “I have to incorporate a dragonfly, so my inspiration is going to be Lady Gaga.”