Operation Beautiful leaves postive, anonymous messages throughout campus

vgz-operationbeautiful-01
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer West Bloomfield sophomore Taylor Boyle, right, hands Bay City freshman Kersten Bond a slip of paper to fill out for new members planning to participate in Operation Beautiful during the first meeting of the semester Thursday night at Taylor Boyle's home, the president of Operation Beautiful at Central Michigan University. "I want the members of this organization to truly believe in what they are doing," Boyle said. "I want us all to be connected to Operation Beautiful and make a difference here on campus."

In a bathroom stall, there is a note that says, “You’re beautiful.”

That note was not put there by the average bathroom vandal, but by Taylor Boyle and her Operation Beautiful team.

“I found a note in the bathroom last year, and at the bottom was the Operation Beautiful website, so I Googled it,” the West Bloomfield freshman said. “I thought it was great, so I started leaving my own notes around campus and it just grew from there.”

The Operation Beautiful at CMU Facebook page states “the goal of Operation Beautiful is to end negative self-talk, educate people about some of the issues that we face and learn to love our bodies and ourselves.”

Boyle and her team leave notes all over campus. Some notes are left in random places and others are more strategically placed.

“We might put notes that say something like ‘you don’t need this, you’re beautiful the way you are’ on the back of a bottle of diet pills,” Boyle said.

Greenville freshman Kelsey Scheidel said the organization should be beneficial to CMU’s students.

“I think college girls especially need a program like this on campus,” Scheidel said.

Boyle also receives notes sometimes. She said she once discovered one on her mirror from her roommate that said, “You’re a great leader and you look fabulous.”

“I think bringing Operation Beautiful to Central is a great idea,” said Petoskey sophomore Casey Burkhart. “College students face enough stress with classes, so I think it’s awesome that Operation Beautiful can help us learn to not stress over our image.”

Leaving notes isn’t the only way Operation Beautiful plans to help people.

“We will also have group therapy at some of our meetings that focus on a certain group of people each time,” she said.

Operation Beautiful is not officially an RSO yet, but its popularity has already exceeded Boyle’s expectations with over 500 fans on Facebook.