Homemade costumes show style, save cash; thrift stores, closets hold potential pieces

pc_halloweendiy_01
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Davison sophomore Jessica Breidenstein puts her halloween costume together Tuesday night at her home on South Main Street. Breidenstein, who is saving money for a trip to Chicago, plans to be a bird for Halloween by pairing a feathered skirt with a t-shirt from The Bird Bar and Grill. "I thought it was really creative," Breidenstein said. "And it was cheap."

What do a paintbrush, Waldo and a bird have in common?

They’re are all costumes that were homemade by CMU students for Halloween escapades.

Kady Jesko said rarely in her life has she ever purchased a pre-made Halloween costume. The New Boston senior’s favorite part of participating in Halloween is being able to design her own costume.

“I feel that making your own costume offers a way for your own personality to come through the costume,” she said.

Jesko said the best way to go about designing costumes is to go “thrifting” and see what stores have to offer. Clothes that are in your closet are also perfect pieces to re-do or design on, she said.

Ryan O’Neill, a Livonia senior, said he has billions of costume ideas, which tends to be a problem around Halloween time.

“You can be anything if you just look in your closet,” O’Neill said.

Jesko recommended Jo-Ann’s Fabrics, the Salvation Army, antique shops and Wal-Mart as other great places to get costume pieces.

Her costume of choice this year is a paintbrush. She said all necessary supplies only cost her around $10.

One of O’Neill’s favorite costumes was Waldo of “Where’s Waldo?” for which he was able to use clothes and materials he already owned.

“Getting costumes is easy,” he said. “Playing the character is the hard part.”

He said finding the right costume is about taking the look you see and trying to make it happen.

Davison sophomore Jessica Breidenstein chose to portray The Bird, a local bar in downtown Mount Pleasant.

“Extended family of mine owns the bar,” Breidenstein said, “so I thought it would be a great idea to portray it with my costume.”

A simple black tee shirt from the bar paired with a black skirt made entirely of feathers complete the costume’s look, she said.

She said her choices were influenced by the music video for Kanye West’s song “Runaway.”

“I am really good with hair and makeup, so I thought his look in the video would be a great inspiration for ‘The Bird’ look,” she said.

Breidenstein said she chose to design her costume rather than purchase it because she is saving up for a birthday trip to Chicago.

“I have so many things in my closet already,” she said, “and I think it is better than anything I could buy at Halloween USA.”