Students tackle 'Amazing Relay Race' for Homecoming; Original Towers Team takes first place

The Student Activity Center was the scene of an amazing race for Homecoming supremacy.

Students gathered for the first ever “The Amazing Relay Race” Wednesday night and fifteen teams of five to 10 people came to compete for the Maroon Cup.

Stations were set up throughout the SAC to test the participants’ physical and mental prowess. From swimming a lap to solving Pixar movie-themed puzzles, students competed against the clock and against students from the other teams.

The Original Towers Team walked away victorious, with Merrill Hall and Kappa Kappa Psi fraternity coming in second and third respectively.

“I didn’t have fun at this event — I had a blast,” said Allendale senior Jonathan Becksvoort, of the Original Towers team.

The first station required students to shoot a free throw, the next teammate solved a brain teaser. Another teammate had to swim one lap and the next solved a puzzle. Then the teams moved to the indoor track to run two laps.

The final two events were questions on assorted trivia, from when CMU was founded to what the largest city in Europe is, and hula hooping 10 times.

After completing each station the team member who finished got their passport, a folder provided for the event, signed by the homecoming committee member who was in charge of that station. Each station also had bonuses allowing the team to get time taken off their total, by finishing in a certain time or getting all of the questions right.

Not much information was released before the event so teams did not have many ways to prepare for the event.

“We did some cheers and listened to some pump-up music before the event,” said Chelsea Culter, a Carleton sophomore of the Sweeney Hall team.

So far the Homecoming committee has not decide if they will hold this event again next year.

“It will just depend on the people who are on committee next years” said Samantha Fleming, an Allen Park senior and Homecoming committee member. “We were really happy with the turn out. We had more people at the relay than were at the Quest for Central Spirit.”