Soccer maintains perfect record in MAC with shutout against NIU

pc-soccervnorthernillinois-2a
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Central Michigan University forward freshman Nicole Samuel attempts to score against Northern Illinois University freshman goalkeeper Amy Carr during the first half of a conference game Sunday afternoon in Mount Pleasant. CMU outshot NIU 29-5 to win 3-0.

The Central Michigan women’s soccer team extended its Mid-American Conference regular season unbeaten streak to 21 games game Sunday as it defeated Northern Illinois 3-0 on senior day at the CMU Soccer Complex.

With a pair of wins over the weekend, the Chippewas (11-3-1 overall, 8-0 MAC) have now won eight consecutive games, including a 1-0 victory against rival Western Michigan on Friday.

Sophomore forward Laura Twidle opened the scoring with a goal in the 17th minute after a long throw in from sophomore defender Bailey Brandon. The goal was Twidle’s fourth of the season, which is tied for most on the team with junior defender Liesel Toth.

“I was wide open on the back post and just had to tap it in,” Twidle said.

CMU is unbeaten in its last 21 home games. Its last loss was Oct. 19, 2008.

Twidle said the team, which is unbeaten in their last 21 home matches dating back to the 2008 season, is more comfortable playing at the CMU Soccer Complex.

“It’s just a different atmosphere at home,” she said. “We don’t want to be beaten on our home field. We want to keep (the unbeaten streak) going.”

The Chippewas controlled the tempo against NIU, outshooting the Huskies 29-5 in the game. Head coach Tom Anagnost said he was happy with the team’s offensive performance.

“W exerted ourselves in the attack, especially in the second half,” he said. “We created a lot, which was great, and I was pleased with the chances created.”

CMU extended the lead in the 30th minute when sophomore midfielder Ashley Mejilla scored on an assist from freshman Estee Outcalt. The Chippewas scored the final goal of the game in the 89th minute when freshman forward Jennifer Gassman scored her second goal on the season on a cross from sophomore defender Bethany Allport.

CMU has scored 10 goals in its last four games after struggling earlier in the season to put away its opportunities. Most of the goals lately, including two Sunday, have come from set pieces that players said they have worked on every day in practice.

The defense has shined for CMU, giving up only three goals in the last eight games. Senior Shay Mannino earned the 40th win of her career in goal yesterday.

Mannino became CMU’s all-time leader in wins with the victory on Friday over WMU. Mannino is the MAC’s all-time leader in shutouts (30) and goals against average, giving up 0.72 goals per game going into yesterday’s game.

CMU gets back to action Friday when it travels to Toledo. The Rockets are also 8-0 in conference play, and boast the only team with a better record than CMU at 12-2-2.

Twidle said it will be like a conference title game.

“It’s going to be our hardest game of the year for sure,” she said. “We’re going to put everything everyone has into that game.”