Alcohol citations spike 54 percent since 2008 rivalry weekend

Alcohol violations increased 54 percent from the previous Central Michigan University-hosted Western Weekend in 2008.

Area police agencies wrote 105 alcohol-related citations this weekend, compared to 68 such citations in 2008. The Mount Pleasant Police Department wrote the bulk of the tickets — 77 for minors-in-possession and open intoxicants.

CMU Police handed out four MIPs at Friday’s tailgate and parties following the game. Sgt. David Coffman said it was just another football weekend for his department.

“There were enough police in the area to deal with the influx of football attendees,” he said.

The Isabella County Sheriff’s Department wrote 19 MIP citations and three open intoxicants and broke up 16 parties. Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said the weekend went well and agreed with Coffman about police having a grasp on the situation.

“The extra police officers were more of a deterrent,” Mioduszewski said. “They were highly visible.”

Mioduszewski said the sheriff’s department did not take a different approach than the MPPD, but student-heavy areas like Main Street fall into the city’s jurisdiction.

The MPPD pledged a heavy police presence following the Halloween weekend, said Public Information Officer Jeff Browne.

“The Mount Pleasant Police Department considers the Central Michigan University versus Western Michigan University weekend a success,” Browne said in a press release.

Agencies also wrote nine tickets for operating while intoxicated and 18 tickets for disorderly conduct.

Attempted robbery

An unknown suspect attempted to rob two victims at knifepoint 7:30 p.m. Friday outside Campbell Hall.

The suspect allegedly demanded the victim’s wallets and threatened them with a six-inch long knife, according to a CMU Police crime alert.

The Central Alert System sent out notifications at about 8:15.

The suspect was not successful and neither victim was injured. CMU Police have yet to identify a suspect or any persons of interest.

“The detective’s got it and he’s looking into it,” Coffman said.

The robbery attempt took place between Campbell Hall and lot 39, near the sand volleyball courts.

The suspect has been described as being about 6 feet tall and weighing between 200 and 220 pounds. He was dressed in all black, including a black, hooded sweatshirt and was wearing a “full face mask,” according to police.

Officers are still looking for witnesses or any information regarding the attempted armed robbery. Those with information are asked to call dispatch at 774-3081 or the tip line at 774-1874.