UPDATED: Broken windows reported at Events Center site; incident shouldn’t interfere with opening

This weekend’s vandalism of the Events Center construction site should not affect the structure’s opening Dec. 1.

Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMU Police said two large windows were broken and a lightbulb was pulled out of a light fixture some time between Friday night and early Saturday morning. The department has not received an estimate for replacement from the construction company.

Wassman said police had already planned on increasing patrols around the center as its opening neared.

“That area has always been on our priorities and we will be taking an extra step to make sure it’s kept safe,” he said. “We’ll be stepping up security measures there, as far as extra patrols.”

Police found blood at the scene and are using it as the basis of their investigation.

“Since there was blood evidence,” Wassman said, “we actually have submitted that evidence to the State Police Crime Lab for evaluation.”

Police believe the suspect cut themselves while breaking the glass.

The process of DNA testing and blood typing can be lengthy, Wassman said.

“It’s just a matter of time before we might get those results back,” he said.

A suspect has yet to be identified from other evidence at the scene.

Officers are still looking for witnesses or any information regarding the incident.

The department is offering a $500 reward to anyone with information that leads to a conviction. Those with information are asked to call dispatch at 774-3081 or the tip line at 774-1874.