Chariot races to run through Central Michigan University’s campus Friday

Friday afternoon Central Michigan University students may think they have been transported back to ancient Rome.

A student-made chariot race will start at 3 p.m. at Wayside Central, 2000 S. Mission St., and will wind through campus.

“There’s twelve teams of three people, they’ll race through a challenging course and they can win various Red Bull prizes and VIP passes to the toga party at the Wayside afterwards,” said Hope freshman Anthony Lazzaro, Red Bull student brand Manager.

The Red Bull-sponsored chariot races are a yearly event. Only six other universities are hosting this year.

Each homemade chariot will be pulled by two of the team members, while the other team member pilots. In order to win, the chariot must make it all the way through the course with the participants still wearing their helmets.

Chariots need at least two wheels and a strut. They cannot have fire, smoke, sharp edges or anything that can explode. The chariot also cannot be motorized in any way.

“Both O’Kelly’s and the Cabin have teams in the race so there’s a big rivalry there,” said Livonia senior Jessica Kennett, O’Kelly’s team captain.

The O’Kelly’s team built their chariot out of various parts that they bought from Menards.

“We focused on the wheels, because we watched videos of previous races on YouTube and a lot of times when they went into a turn the wheel would break or fold,” Kennett said.

For the race Red Bull is bringing in over 700 bales of hay to line the course.

“It’s going to be a lot fun,” said Wayside Central and O’Kelly’s Sports Bar Owner John Hunter. “Red Bull’s a big company and they’re bringing in a lot of stuff to make it memorable.”

Red Bull is providing outdoor bars serving red bull drinks, heaters, DJ’s and various prizes, Hunter said.

“The races are free and open to people of all ages,” Kennett said. “It’s just going to be a great time.”