CMU knocked out of MAC tournament in first round

pc_volleyballvmiami_01
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Central Michigan University junior setter Catherine Ludwig, left, and sophomore outside hitter Lindsey Dulude, right, block a ball against Miami University outside hitter Amy Raseman Tuesday night during the Mid-American Conference Tournament first round game at Finch Fieldhouse. CMU lost 3-2.

The CMU women’s volleyball team experienced one of its best moments of the season Saturday when they beat Northern Illinois in a come-from-behind fashion.

However, the Chippewas experienced something different Tuesday night.

They saw their season end in a disappointing fashion, losing a first round Mid-American Conference tournament match in five sets against No. 11 seed Miami University at Finch Fieldhouse.

“It was an inconsistent night and had a lot of passing issues tonight,” said head coach Erik Olson. “Miami served a lot tougher than last time, and it led to a lot of errors for us.”

CMU, the No. 6 seed, feel by scores of 25-16, 25-20, 25-18, 25-21 and 15-13.

The first set was back in forth early until a Miami error gave CMU an 11-10 advantage, a lead they would not see for the rest of the set. With sophomore Amy Kendall serving, MU rattled off 13 consecutive points and won the first set 25-16.

The second set was more what CMU wanted. Back and forth once again early, CMU found themselves with a 13-9 lead. They continued to lead the set, taking a 20-16 lead and cruised to a 25-20 victory on a MU attack error.

The third set was even early, and after both teams tied at 11, a pair of kills by sophomore outside hitter Lindsey Dulude and a crafty kill by junior setter Catherine Ludwig gave the Chippewas a 14-11 lead they would not surrender. The RedHawks tried to inch back, but CMU was too much and won the set on a Lauren Krupsky kill to take a 2-1 match lead.

In the fourth set, Miami came out quick, taking an early 10-5 lead. CMU would struggle to cut the MU lead to fewer than three throughout and never really threatened. The RedHawks won 25-21 and sent the match to a fifth and final set.

With both team’s season and a trip to Toledo on the line, they battled in the fifth set. With the set tied at 12, a Miami attack error gave the Chippewas a one-point lead.

But after a timeout, the RedHawks scored the final three points and punched their ticket to the quarterfinals.

For the Chippewas, it was a tough end to a disappointing season. They finish the season 14-15 overall, despite being the preseason pick to win the MAC West Division.

“This team was capable of a lot more,” Olson said. “The ups and downs we went threw this season were completely controllable by ourselves. We need to want it more than everyone else.”

Junior middleblocker Kaitlyn Schultz had 24 kills, while Krupsky had 15. Sophomore Katie Schuette added 10.

For Krupsky and Lisa Johnson, it was the final match of their college careers.

“I love them to death,” Schultz said. “They have been great leaders all year and we’re going to miss them.”