COLUMN: Facebook can put added stress on relationships

I am thinking about deactivating my Facebook account.

My reasoning is not because it is hurting my grades or taking too much of my time, but it is threatening my relationship.

Before I pull the plug on the social networking site that I actually use for social networking, I have to ask, why is Facebook such a threat to relationships in general?

I have seen many couples flaunt their relationships on Facebook through kissy pictures and lovey-dovey statuses, but unexpectedly these very same couples end up in my home page with that mini-heart and the statement that so-and-so is now single.

Maybe lack of trust or issues already beneath the surface come to light when both parties have a Facebook account.

I have noticed that many people who are in relationships use Facebook as a resource to branch out and secretly talk to other people behind their partners’ backs. Jealousy begins to happen over posts, status updates, and picture comments.

Honesty is key in any relationship, so to prevent sneakiness, couples can share passwords, but that could backfire and reveal even more unsavory findings than just looking at their account from the outside.

Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter have revolutionized ways of communication. These sites have also seemed to alter methods of cheating in the same way it has altered ways of bullying.

People should stop taking Facebook and Twitter so seriously and if they have something that needs to be expressed it should be expressed in a conversation with their partner and not posted in their status.

The best thing for couples to do is to rid themselves of all insecurities and trust issues before they decide that each person is able to handle a social networking site. Couples should understand that much like the Internet in general just because something is on Facebook does not mean that it is true.