Final days in 99th district race an ‘organized frenzy’ as house candidates Cotter, Sessoms focus on jobs

Months of hard work and campaigning will come to a head for candidates across the country Tuesday.

In Isabella County, Democrat Toni Sessoms and Republican Kevin Cotter made their final pushes this weekend to be elected to the 99th district state Representative seat.

Both candidates focused heavily on “get out the vote” efforts, with their staffs going door-to-door to encourage voters in Isabella and western Midland counties to vote.

“We ramped up our efforts to get voters to get to the polls and vote,” Sessoms said. “It’s organized frenzy.”

Cotter said he has been encouraged by the feedback he has received in his door-to-door efforts.

“Campaigns can change very quickly, but I feel very good.” Cotter said. “I’m getting very positive feedback from voters at the door, which is what I use to gauge it.”

Jobs have been the focus for both candidates, as it has been for candidates across the United States. They both have disagreed with the Michigan Small Business Tax and agreed taxes and regulations need to be lessened on small businesses.

Sessoms said she is for reinstating the Michigan Promise Scholarship. It’s been a focal point of her campaign, along with working across the aisle with Republicans.

“I expect to be a champion for college students in Lansing,” Sessoms said.

Sessoms and Cotter both own their own law firms. Cotter is a Central Michigan University alumnus, and Sessoms was a nurse in North Carolina and New York before moving to Michigan in 1993 to practice law.

Cotter and Sessoms are running for the seat occupied by Rep. Bill Caul, R-Mount Pleasant, who can not run again because of term limits.

Controversy arose last week when a series of automated calls were sent out to voters in the area, urging them to not vote for Sessoms because of her sexuality.

The calls originated from Gary Glenn, chairman of the Campaign for Michigan Families. Cotter has distanced himself from the calls, and said he was “disgusted” with them.

“We’re trying to stay out of the negative campaigning that has been out there,” he said. “We’re trying to stay on message.”