George Ross speaks to SGA in open forum; says culture is campus’ strongest aspect

Fraser junior Cameron Hunt was pleased with University President Ross’ knowledge of campus events and modest answers on Monday night.

The Student Government Association welcomed Ross in an open forum to create an open line of communication between the student body and administration.

“He explained himself well with detailed answers,” Hunt said. “He also did a good job at sticking to his guidelines and showing compassion for the students.”

Ross addressed the majority of questions the audience posed and delegated those he said he did not have complete knowledge of.

Many students were interested in learning more about the budget Central Michigan University is working under and the potential changes it may bring to the university. Others brought up matters of admission, graduation and campus expansion.

Talk of university programs was also incorporated during the forum. Students conveyed concerns on the funding, cutting and expansion of programs that pertained to their studies.

Personal concerns were also addressed by Ross. He voiced his apologies for misunderstanding and problems encountered by students and recognized communication is something the university needs to work on.

“I constantly point out the problem with communication within the university,” he said. “However, it is not an excuse for the mistakes that have been made.”

Matt Dimitroff, a junior from Swartz Creek, was impressed by Ross’ appearance.

“He was well-informed,” Dimitroff said. “He did his best at staying relevant and projecting the information he knew.”

Although Ross was there to represent the university as the president, he set aside most formalities.

When a student asked him what he thought was the greatest aspect of CMU, Ross said the environment was among its chief strengths.

“The culture of the campus,” Ross said. “There is an evident willingness by the faculty and students to embrace diversity.”

Ross opened the floor to questions for about an hour and encouraged everyone to take complete advantage of the opportunity.

He emphasized the importance of an experience in another campus within an entirely new culture.

Coopersville senior Cherish Karasiewicz, who posed a question during the forum, was content with the turn out of the event.

“This forum made President Ross aware of the problems on campus,” Karasiewicz said. “It was helpful, and it put matters of concern on the radar.”