Mount Pleasant High School advances to Division 3 semifinals

Mount Pleasant High School won its first Michigan High School Athletic Association regional championship Saturday, beating Cadillac High School 17-7 at Mount Pleasant High School.

Oilers quarterback Ryan Elliot was 6-of-8 for 70 yards and 1 interception while running back Alex Horton had 29 carries for 154 yards and two touchdowns, including a 52-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

“I feel like it really sparked the whole team up, including our defense after going down seven points early,” Horton said.

The game was tied 7-7 at halftime after the Oilers fell behind early in the second quarter. Their defense shut out the Vikings offense in the second half, limiting them to just 54 yards.

Mount Pleasant had 216 yards of total offense, while Cadillac's offense was kept in-check the whole game, recording 157 yards of total offense.

Vikings quarterback Gary Silvers went 9-of-22 for 89 yards and one interception, while rushing for 20 yards on 11 carries. Wide receiver Mike Weeks was a non-factor, with just three catches for one yard. Running back Richie Heyd had 10 carries for 19 yards and one touchdown.

Mount Pleasant will play East Grand Rapids next Saturday at Ferris State University. East Grand Rapids defeated Zeeland East 17-13 on Saturday to advance.

“I can’t explain how excited I am to be here," said MPHS head coach Jason McIntyre. "I don’t think a lot of people had this expectation for our football team. I think I will have to let it soak in a little bit.”

Pick up Monday's CM Life for expanded coverage of the game.