Mount Pleasant hosts Cadillac in regional title game

The Mount Pleasant High School Oilers football team finds itself in a similar situation from last year.

In 2009, MPHS went undefeated to win the Saginaw Valley Conference and won the district title, before falling in the regional final to West Branch Ogemaw Heights, 35-28, on six turnovers.

This year, they aim not to repeat their past at 1 p.m. Saturday when the Oilers host Cadillac at Mount Pleasant High School.

The team is coming off a Saginaw Valley Conference championship and 28-0 district title win against St. Johns, moving closer to every high school football team’s ultimate destination: Detroit’s Ford Field to play in state championship.

“This week we are learning from last year’s loss,” said MPHS head coach Jason McIntyre.

After last week’s win, McIntyre told his team they played their best game of the season.

Now, he says, the biggest task is trying to get the best out his players again.

“We are not going to try to create something new in one week,” McIntyre said. “We just need to take care of the football, while relying on our run game.”

Junior quarterback Ryan Elliot responded last week, going 9-of-11 for 181 yards and a touchdown, following a subpar game against St. Charles in the first round of the playoffs. The Oilers relied on their ground attack and first team All-Saginaw Valley Conference selection Alex Horton to carry the load.

The team rushed for 239 yards, while Horton, a senior, ran for 173 yards on 36 carries and a touchdown.

Mount Pleasant welcomes in a familiar foe in 8-3 Cadillac. The two teams have played each from 1950 to 2004, until the Oilers joined the SVC in 2005. The Oilers have won the last three meetings between 2002-04.

The Oilers have played well defensively in these playoffs, allowing only six points in the playoffs and giving up a total of 138 yards offensively against St. Johns last Friday.

The Vikings come into this one led by two outstanding football players on offense; quarterback Gary Silvers and wide receiver Mike Weeks.

“Silvers and Weeks are going to create some issues for us,” McIntyre said.