Previewing the rest of the MAC field hockey tournament

Staff Reporter Justin Hicks breaks down the rest of the field in the 2010 Mid-American Conference field hockey tournament, to be held Thursday through Saturday at the CMU Field Hockey Complex in Mount Pleasant.

No. 1 Kent State (13-6, 8-2 MAC) With the first spot in the MAC, Kent State will enjoy a first round bye before playing the winner of the Central Michigan-Missouri State game in the semifinals at 11 a.m. Friday. Riding a six-game winning streak in which the team outscored its opponents 35-11, KSU has a reputation for a strong offense. The team leads the MAC in goals, assists and shots. The Golden Flashes won the regular season conference title for the third consecutive season, led by junior forward Debbie Bell. Her 22 goals, 115 shots and 50 points this season rank first in the MAC, and her 1.16 goals per game average is ranked seventh in the nation. Protecting the cage is Caroline Suitch, who is ranked third in the conference with a 1.93 goals against average.

No. 2 Miami (13-6, 8-2 MAC) Miami earned a first-round bye after finishing second in the conference. The team will play the winner of the No. 3 Ohio and No. 6 Ball State game at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. The RedHawks closed out their season with back-to-back shutouts by freshman Sarah Mueller, who finished the season with a MAC-best seven shutouts, and a 1.61 goals against average, ranked second among goalkeepers. Miami will look to improve on its 2009 MAC Tournament success, when it reached the finals before losing in overtime to Ohio. The RedHawks are led by senior Mary Hull’s 34 points, while getting 25 points of offensive contribution from three other players.

No. 3 Ohio (11-9, 7-3 MAC) The defending MAC champions will face No. 6 Ball State at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in round one of the conference tournament. OU goalkeeper Courtney Seiders finished the 2010 regular season with a MAC-best 1.48 goals against average, giving up 31 goals in 20 games played. She was the only goaltender in the conference to play all 20 games this season. A two-goal effort by sophomore Taylor Brown was enough for OU on Friday, as it wrapped up the regular season with a 2-1 overtime win against Missouri State. Brown led the Bobcats offense this season with 15 goals and 33 points.

No. 5 Missouri State (5-14, 2-8) Missouri State will take on host CMU at 11 a.m. Thursday in an attempt to break the 1-1 series draw this season. The Bears dropped their last three games of the regular season to the top seeds in the MAC, with two of the losses coming in overtime. Goalkeeper Steph Anderson has seen a lot of pressure this season, leading the MAC in saves per game (7.15). On the other side of the field, junior Casey Bayliss leads the MSU offense, recording eight goals and six assists in her first season with the Bears after spending two seasons at Charles Sturt University.

No. 6 Ball State (6-13, 2-8) After losing seven of its last eight contests, Ball State will open the tournament at 1:30 p.m. Thursday against No. 3 seed Ohio. In their two meetings in 2010, Ohio swept BSU, outscoring them 10-1. Junior Devanny Kuhn and junior Grethen Lulow led the Cardinals offensively this season. Kuhn tallied 15 goals and 33 points, while Lulow, recorded 12 assists. Kuhn’s status for the tournament is uncertain after sitting out two of the team’s last three regular season games.