UPDATED: Mount Pleasant woman dies in head-on crash Tuesday night

jt-spotnews11-23-02
Joe Tobianski/Staff Photographer A tow truck driver sweeps up the glass at the scene of a fatal car crash on the intersection of E.Blue Grass and Encore Boulevard Tuesday night. Two cars were involved in the crash, resulting in the death of a woman in what was described as "a head-on left turn crash," according to State Trooper Don Dutcher.

Shannon Marie Kelly has been identified as the victim of Tuesday night's fatal car crash.

The 26-year-old Mount Pleasant resident died after the Ford Taurus she was riding in was struck by a pickup truck at the intersection of East Blue Grass Road and Encore Boulevard.

"At this point, we're dealing with a head-on left turn crash," said State Trooper Don Dutcher.

The Taurus was traveling west on Blue Grass, and attempted to make a left turn into the Union Commons shopping center at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. It was struck by the pickup while attempting the turn.

Dutcher said there was some debate about whether the light was yellow or red, and the confusion may have caused the accident.

The driver of the pickup truck, a female, was not hospitalized. Dennis Corser was driving the Taurus and was transported to Central Michigan Community Hospital, said Sgt. David Kaiser. Corser was not listed as a patient at CMCH as of Wednesday morning.

Police blocked off portions of both roads for nearly an hour and a half with traffic cones and flares, as they cleared the wreckage and gathered evidence.

"Once the paperwork's been completed, it'll be sent over to the prosecutor for review," Kaiser said.

Watch cm-life.com for more information.