Chippewas face stiff competition this weekend in Las Vegas

The CMU wrestling team will head to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete in the Cliff Keen Invitational Friday and Saturday for the first time since the 1991-92 season.

No. 10 Central Michigan will be one of nine teams ranked in the Top 25 competing at this two-day event. In total, 36 teams will be competing.

“It’s going to be as good a competition as we’ll see all year other than the national tournament,” said head coach Tom Borrelli. “I couldn’t imagine any other tournament to have nine top 25 ranked teams competing.”

Next to CMU, the tournament will also feature No. 2 Boise State, No. 4 Wisconsin, No. 7 Oklahoma, No. 12 Arizona State, No. 16 Illinois, No. 19 Virginia Tech, No. 20 Ohio State and No. 23 Hofstra.

“The level of competition is going to be crazy,” said senior Mike Miller. “Being able to see higher ranked teams helps us improve and helps us see where we’re at and where we can improve for the national tournament.

CMU will bring 10 wrestlers, with the majority of them being the same wrestlers that competed against Minnesota last weekend at the Northern Quad.

The two exceptions will be at the 157-pound and 184-pound classes. Sophomore Dillon Kern will be the starting 157-pounder and redshirt freshman Adam Miller will get the spot for the 184-pound class.

“I think in every weight class at this tournament, our guys are going to have a great test,” Borrelli said. “Placing high in this tournament increases our guys chances at getting a wildcard to nationals.”

After being named MAC Wrestler of the Week, sophomore Ben Bennett will wrestle Friday ranked sixth among 174-pounders. Bennett holds a 6-2 season record, losing twice against No. 1 Mack Lewnes of Cornell. Junior Scotti Sentes (133) will look to continue his unbeaten streak, carrying an 8-0 record into the weekend.

“(Sentes) has been wrestling good, but this tournament will be a real good indicator of where he stands,” Borrelli said. “I think 133 is a really good weight at this tournament, and I think he’s pretty excited to wrestle some good people.”

Alongside No. 6 Sentes, the Chippewas have three other top 10 wrestlers: No. 6 Bennett, No, 5 Jarod Trice (heavyweight) and No. 8 Miller.

The tournament starts at noon Friday and will carry over into Saturday, with the semifinals starting at noon and finals set for 6 p.m.

“(Two-day competitions) are more grueling, but I think it’s probably better practice as far as having to make weight two straight days and the competition gets keener the second day,” Borrelli said. “All those things are sort of practice for the NCAA Tournament.”

Miller said fatigue is a factor in two-day events, but that the team needs mental toughness and to trust its training to fight through it. His response when asked of the team’s expectations for the weekend was brief.

“Our expectation is to win.”