Learning from mistakes of drunk driving, politics of aftermath

I screwed up — it’s that simple.

One night in October, I grossly underestimated how much alcohol I consumed at a 21st birthday party and waited less time than I thought before getting behind the wheel.

It didn’t occur to me until the red and blue lights of a CMU Police car flashed in my rearview mirror what a huge mistake I had made. I was arrested and since, it has snowballed into one of the most depressing and embarrassing experiences of my life.

The incident has consumed much of my daily thought. The two court visits have soaked up my time, and I’m positive the consequences will drain my bank account substantially.

But really, it is not even about me. And until this happened, I hadn’t realized that my job as editor in chief isn’t either.

Most everyone here at CM Life knew I was arrested and faced what has now been reduced to a Driving While Impaired charge. I’ve discussed it at length with our adviser and I came clean to the Student Publications Board of Directors, which reappointed me as editor next semester.

It’s been no secret and I have answered all inquiries about it honestly.

The real question: Should CM Life have run a story about my charges to notify the public?

Am I considered to be in the public eye? Is it anyone’s business? Should I really set a precedent that any other future CM Lifer who gets in trouble publish a story?

I chose to write this column.

It is my first offense and, to paraphrase what a CMU professor recently said, I’m not exactly walking around with horns and a tail because of it.

That night, I unfortunately decided to drink and drive. But it’s about the people I could have hurt.

Throughout CMU, I’m sure there are plenty others like me — first offenders shocked and ashamed they could ever let such a thing happen.

Like being editor, the consequences for certain decisions can become much more political than they actually are. I have learned more this semester than how to manage a newsroom.

My charges have surfaced to those who do not have all the facts. Construe your own conclusion, it’s your right.

I came to CMU to be a journalist with the hope that one day I will find a purpose that helps people, whether it be reporting what is important or putting together a thrice-weekly product with some attempt at a vision.

Still, every day I catch flak. My staff’s victories are their own, but their mistakes are my responsibility. It’s the nature of the beast.

The job of editor in chief is about making tough decisions. It isn’t to be well-liked by the masses or to sway how you feel. It is to present you with the truth.

And the truth is what I did that night is wrong. I am grateful for those who have understood the situation and respect those who question my integrity.

Perhaps this might stop others from making similar mistakes.

No matter how much you think you have had to drink, always assume you have had too much. And that decision could just save a life.