UPDATE: Search continues for unarmed burglary suspect; identified by police

Mount Pleasant police are still searching for a 22-year-old man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s house with a gun.

MPPD Sgt. Dan Gaffka said Richard Chamberlain is suspected of entering the woman’s residence at 615 1/2 E. High St. Saturday at 12:47 p.m. Chamberlain is believed to be an Alma resident but also has an address listed in the Detroit area, Gaffka said.

A crime alert was sent to students in regards to the off-campus crime, and that the search for an armed 200 pound white male with black hair, blue jeans and a black and red jacket was ongoing.

“The city (police) had a complaint where they were tracking a suspect of something that occurred at the city,” said Central Michigan University Police Chief Bill Yeagley.

Police were called to the scene by a witness, Gaffka said. Chamberlain had fled the scene by the time police arrived.

Gaffka said Chamberlain is believed to have fled by foot. Footprints from the scene were tracked through campus.

Chamberlain is also believed to have access to a vehicle.

There allegedly was a confrontation between Chamberlain and the woman when she came home, Gaffka said. The gun was recovered by police at the ex-girlfriend’s residence.

Yeagley said the suspect was originally seen at High and University streets. He then headed south on University Street.

The crime alert was sent out to students because the suspect fled close to campus, Yeagley said.

The suspect was tracked to Bellows and Washington streets.

“We are assisting the city and alerting the students of a potentially dangerous situation,” Yeagley said.

Chamberlain is not suspected to be armed and dangerous, Gaffka said.

The Mount Pleasant Police Department was assisted by CMU police, the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department, Saginaw Chippewa Tribal police and state police from the Mount Pleasant post.

The investigation is ongoing and Chamberlain is still at large, Gaffka said.