Chippewas host Michigan in first meet at McGuirk Arena

After being on the road for more than three months, the CMU wrestling team finally opens its home schedule Sunday against No. 18 Michigan.

The No. 12 Chippewas will host a match for the first time in McGuirk Arena in front of an expected sellout crowd. Head coach Tom Borrelli said he expects the atmosphere to be electric.

“Our guys are going to be excited to be at home, its the first match in the new arena,” he said. “I think its going to be a really good crowd.”

Borelli said having the comforts of being at home go beyond having fan support.

“It’s just easier to wrestle at home. Making weight is a little easier, you’re sleeping in your own bed,” he said. “There’s just a different comfort level.”

The Chippewas lost two of three matches at the National Duals last weekend in Cedar Falls, Iowa. CMU fell to nationally ranked Missouri and Virginia Tech, but was able to defeat Purdue to bring the team record to 3-6.

CMU hosts Michigan, which is coming off a loss against No. 2 Penn State last week. The Wolverines (4-2) host No. 21 Purdue today before traveling to Mount Pleasant for Sunday’s match.

CMU defeated Michigan in each of the team’s last three matches dating back to the 2006-2007 season. The Chippewas were expected to face Michigan again last season, but the match was taken off the schedule. Speculation was that the Wolverines didn’t want to face CMU after losing three years in a row.

Junior heavyweight Jarod Trice said he can’t wait to face Michigan.

“It’s going to be crazy. There’s going to be a lot of people there and it’s a big rival because Michigan was scared to wrestle us last year,” Trice said. “So hopefully they come in and we wrestle tough and walk away with a ‘W’.”

Borelli said Michigan is a team on the rise and said his team will have to perform well to be successful.

“They’ve improved almost every time they’ve competed this year,” he said. “They just took second at the Virginia Duals and moved up in the rankings because of that. It’s going to be a good challenge.”

Trice and junior 133-pounder Scotti Sentes both lost to Michigan wrestlers at the Cliff Keen Invitational in December in Las Vegas. Borelli said he’s looking for them to avenge those losses and set an example for the rest of the team.

The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. Sunday.