City approves a new restaurant and nightclub to open on Mission Street

Editor’s note: A version of this story first appeared on cm-life.com Thursday.

A new restaurant, bar and nightclub is coming to Mount Pleasant and could open as early as this summer.

A special-use permit to convert the former R & R Laundromat into an upscale establishment named L-1 Bar & Grille was approved by the city’s Planning Commission Thursday. The proposed 24-hour business will be attached next door to the Liquor One party store in the 1700 block of South Mission Street.

“On Thursday and Friday and Saturday, if you look at McDonald’s and you look at Lil’ Chef — you can’t get into the parking lot,” said Kerry Chahil, president and CEO of L-1, Inc. and the special-use permit’s applicant. “At two o’clock in the morning, there is a huge need for people to go out and eat.”

L-1 Bar & Grille will operate as a restaurant first and a bar second, Chahil said. It will be converted to a nightclub layout with a dance floor each night from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., after which it will return to its restaurant layout with additional tables.

The business will be required to make at least 50 percent of its sales from food, but Chahil said he hopes to stay around 60 percent. He estimated the establishment will hire 30 to 40 local employees.

Some present at Thursday’s meeting, including Commissioner Minde Lux and two residents who live nearby the proposed business, expressed concern over noise and questioned what would be done to enforce the food sales stipulation.

“The alcohol remains a concern to me,” Lux said. “I would want to ensure that this is going to be a 50 percent or more restaurant.”

There are no mandatory checks throughout the year that the city or state conducts for such establishments, said Jeff Gray, Mount Pleasant director of planning and community development.

“We’re not going into those places on a periodic basis and asking to see the books,” Gray said. “We don’t go into the other places in the community unless we think there is a reason to.”

Chahil said renovations to the building will include acoustics and sound barriers that will minimize noise to the outside environment.

He said he hopes to commence operations by early summer, although a definitive date has not been set. The establishment is being aimed more toward upscale customers, he said.

“I want people in this town to be able to go out with a blazer on and feel comfortable, and I believe there are a lot of students that want that too,” Chahil said.