COLUMN: My mom thinks I'm a lesbian

Most heterosexual female twenty-somethings, even the attention-seeking few who have occasional make-out sessions with other girls at crowded bars, don’t face too much scrutiny concerning their sexuality.

If they date guys, they are straight. End of story.

But for some, their sexuality is under the microscope for reasons completely unbeknownst to them.

When my mom wanted to see the movie “Black Swan” I complied.

When I told a friend I was going to go see it, she warned me it might be an awkward film to see with my mom because of scenes featuring lesbian sex and masturbation. “Figures,” I thought. “May as well text mom and give her a heads up.”

“Are you sure you want to see this? I heard there is lesbian sex. Which is fine for me, because I am a lesbian and all,” I sent jokingly.

“Did you just come out of the closet?” she replied. I immediately face-palmed.

I was brought back to a few days ago, when she and I were spending time at my aunt’s house with my sister Rachel.

I heard these words came from my mother’s mouth as she spoke loudly to my aunt in the dining room while I was in the kitchen: “I think Ashley’s a lesbian.”

What reason(s) did she have to question my sexuality, you may wonder? Absolutely none.

Sure, I have had some gay friends, my relationships with guys have been somewhat short-lived, but none of this was indicative of my apparent attraction to women.

While it’s nice to know my mom has already prepared herself to deal with my alleged lesbianism, I have no choice but to  disappoint her with my continued heterosexuality.

Something tells me that if I do ever marry I may still be accused of being a closet lesbian in denial.

Thanks, ma.