Infusion Dance Team varies routines from hip-hop to lyrical

a1-infusion
Sean Proctor/Staff Photographer Chesterfield freshman Anne Saigh laughs with Macomb junior Marissa Mercadante prior to attempting a calypso leap over Mercadante during their routine to the song "Stand Alone, Look Pretty" by The Wreckers during the Wednesday night practice of the Infusion Dance Team at the Vision Studio of Performing Arts, 131 East Broadway St.

Members of Infusion Dance Team have their toes tapping and their hips swaying to hip-hop beats and jazz rhythms.

The registered student organization specializes in whatever type of dance most members want to practice. Right now, the group is more jazz and lyrical, said its vice president, Allie Richards, a Cass City senior. Some of the group’s new members have more of a hip-hop background, so the style might change again.

“Everybody on the team is really passionate for dance and we try to incorporate all styles of dance into the team,” she said.

Infusion is actively working out a routine to audition for the Honors Talent Show, which will be on March 24. The team is also looking to go to a competition this May, Richards said. They usually perform at least a few times at campus events throughout the year.

This year, the team moved their practices to Vision Studio of Performing Arts, 115 S. Main St., thanks to Wixom senior Kim Ehlke.

The team used to practice in the halls of Rose Arena, Ehlke said. Now the owner of Vision lets them use the studio for free.

“I teach (at Vision) and I do Infusion,” she said. “I dance a lot, it’s a good thing.”

The team is self-coached and the dances are a collaborative effort, Richards said. The president runs the practices, but most decisions are made as a team.

The team looks for people who have a variety of dance backgrounds, or are willing to try. They also are always looking for choreographers, Richards said.

All members have a hand in deciding who joins the team the next year, she said. There are 10 people on Infusion this year — a fairly standard number. “We don’t look for quantity, just fit,” Richards said. “We all fill in different roles.”

One person who just fit at this year’s tryouts was Marissa Mercadante. The Macomb junior missed tryouts when she transferred in last year, but did not hesitate to try out this time.

“I had just transferred here last year so I didn’t really know anything ... This year when it came around I was really excited and I tried out,” she said. “I like that I’m able to dance still and I’m with really awesome people and really talented people.”

Mercadante likes the freedom offered by having the team coach itself and the balance between Infusion and classes.

She was glad to keep up her passion for dancing, which has been part of her life for 17 years.

Ehlke has also been dancing for most of her life, and found a home with Infusion.

“I tried out for other dance teams and they just weren’t for me,” she said. “I liked (Infusion’s) style .. people who love to dance.”