Injury-riddled Miller returns with OT win

The CMU wrestling team got a lift from two-time Mid-American Conference champion and two-time All-American Mike Miller in Sunday’s dual meet loss against No. 18 Michigan.

Miller (3-3), who competed for the first time since Dec. 12 against Lehigh, is coming off knee and shoulder injuries that have sidelined him for most of the season.

The 165-pound senior won his match against Michigan's Dan Yates 9-7 for the 12th ranked Chippewas in the only overtime match. He was awarded a two-point takedown about 30 seconds into the overtime period.

“I needed to wrestle. I’ve been riddled with injuries since last year,” Miller said. “It just felt good to be out there. There’s no better way than to come back out in front of 4,000 fans at home.”

A rusty Miller started slowly, facing an early 6-3 deficit, but Yates suffered an injury at the end of the first period, and was slow to get up after every whistle.

Miller, who exploited Yates’ fatigue, was one of only four CMU individual winners and said he got a big boost from the crowd in the third period.

“(The crowd) pumps you up. I was ready to go,” he said. “I had nothing to lose going out there.”

Head coach Tom Borelli said he was pleased with the veteran's bounce-back performance.

“(He had a) very gutty performance. He showed a lot of guts, and found a way to win the match,” he said. “Mike has a lot of guts, a lot of heart. Those things are invaluable.”

Miller said because of his shoulder injury he’s had to change his wresting technique.

“I can’t do what I have done previously. I have to be smart about my wrestling,” he said. “I’ve had to change some things up, and that boosts my confidence knowing I can come back and win close matches.”

Borelli said Miller’s health is crucial to the team’s performance for the rest of the year.

“If he stays healthy he’ll help a lot,” he said. “He’s not been able to train consistently because of injuries.”