UPDATED: Isabella County woman found dead at Deerfield Nature Park; taught psychology at CMU

sheffert

A Deerfield Township woman died Tuesday after she was found on the ice of the Chippewa River at Deerfield Nature Park.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said Sonya Marie Sheffert, 43, was found by her husband, Larry Sheffert, in the park off of Winn Road.

Mioduszewski said Sheffert had been in the river prior to being found on the ice.

“It doesn’t look like anything suspicious,” Mioduszewski said. “There was only one set of footprints, so it wasn’t homicide.”

Sheffert taught psychology at Central Michigan University and Alma College, according to both insitutions' websites.

Mioduszewski said Sonya Sheffert left her home on Hilltop Road sometime between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m.

He said their children recognized the vehicle while their father drove them to school and suspected it was hers. Larry Sheffert inspected the vehicle later after he dropped off them off and realized it was hers.

Larry Sheffert followed the lone footprints and discovered his wife on the ice of the Chippewa River. He attempted to warm her while waiting for paramedics to arrive, Mioduszewski said.

The sheriff's department received a call shortly after 8 a.m. Deputies arrived on scene about 8:30 a.m.

First responders administered CPR at the scene and Sheffert was taken to Central Michigan Community Hospital, where she was pronounced dead later in the morning.

Mioduszewski said an autopsy was being conducted Tuesday. A cause of death had not been determined.