Ross announces leadership changes

University President George Ross made several changes to senior leadership positions effective Jan. 17, according to a press release issued Tuesday.

The vice president for development and alumni relations position was eliminated. Edward Tolcher, the current interim vice president for development and alumni relations, will resume his responsibilities as assistant vice president of major and planned giving program.

The development and alumni relations, and government relations and public affairs offices were consolidated into one division.

Kathy Wilbur, the current vice president of government relations and public affairs, will become the vice president of development and external relations. Her salary will be $215,000.

There will still be four vice presidents, however. Ross created a new vice president position for enrollment and student services. This person will lead CMU's enrollment management efforts. A national search will launch in the next few weeks.

General Counsel Manuel Rupe will report to Ross instead of David Burdette, vice president of Finance and Administrative Services.

Pamela Gates was named dean of the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences following a national search.

Director of Athletics Dave Heeke was awarded a new three-year contract effective Jan. 1, 2011, through June 30, 2011. Heeke's base salary was not increased, but it includes new incentive opportunities.