'Weather, caffeine, ulcer': Living with seasonal depression

I have wanted to move out of Michigan for as long as I can remember.

The obvious reason I accused as the culprit was my need for adventure, independence and learning about the world. While those have all remained bold characteristics of my personality, the weather is most definitely where I lay most my blame.

I am the person who loves to stay busy – a little too over-involved. This part of me starts suffering right around mid-November when it is no longer safe to call it autumn, and no longer acceptable to call me productive. This is the time every year when I get upset. We live in the grayest environment, so no wonder it becomes an extraneous effort to roll out of bed each morning. Am I the only one not looking forward to another day without the sun?

The concept of me wanting to sleep all day and accomplish nothing has conveniently and uniquely been coined Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). According to the University of Michigan Health Service, SAD is more common in the northern United States, as well as being more prevalent in women. Well, I guess that makes me doubly-screwed then.

My solution to this you ask? Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. And Diet Coke. Because of these two constant companions in my life during the winter months, I fear I may develop an ulcer in the near future. Weather, caffeine, ulcer – this point A to point C list barely makes any sense to even me, yet these are my personal habits being discussed. I needed a better solution.

Option two – travel somewhere warm and sunny. By the time spring breaks hits, the weather is beginning to show signs of life again, so a vacation is not necessary for me at this time unless it is still snowing. This is Michigan, so I shouldn’t assume the weather would be convenient. I also have to keep in mind that I am a poor college student, so the money that would have paid off a loan is now paying for me to sit on the beach and be happy, not SAD.

Final and thus far inconclusive option – move. Unfortunately this must wait a few more years until I graduate, but I am thinking this may be successful. Yes, I will make the decision to leave my family and friends behind as well as career connections I have established in Michigan, but I crave the sun. Not necessarily warmer weather, just sun. If I must move to avoid an ulcer, I consider that acceptable.