At least 30 accidents reported in Mount Pleasant area on Sunday, Monday

The snow struck roads and drivers hard as area police agencies reported 30 accidents Sunday and Monday.

The Isabella County Sheriff’s Department reported 18 car accidents during the two-day period while Mount Pleasant Police handled 12.

“With the two snowstorms we’ve had, I’m surprised that there weren’t as many accidents as I expected,” said Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski. “People knew the storms were going to hit.”

He said drivers took warnings seriously and there was very little movement of cars during the storm.

Mioduszewski said his department called in deputies two or three weeks ago to prepare for the first big snowstorm.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Mioduszewski said there were no serious injuries related to accidents and "just mostly fender benders."

MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Browne offered several tips for safe winter driving.

He said motorists should allow extra time for travel and for braking, try to travel only during daylight hours and always carry a cell phone. Drivers should also keep an emergency kit in their car that includes extra items such as jumper cables, extra clothes, a flashlight and shovel.

Central Michigan University Police did not report any accidents from Saturday to Tuesday. Lt. Cameron Wassman said accident numbers have decreased a little compared to last year.

“This storm and the previous storm gave us a lot of snow in a short amount of time,” he said. “But people were well aware that this weather was coming and planned accordingly.”

Wassman said the university does a phenomenal job at snow removal and it plays a part on the safety of campus roadways.

Muskegon junior Chad Pothoff commutes from Deerfield Road to CMU. He said the road conditions were bad and it was frightening to drive to school.

“The sidewalks on campus were really bad, too,” Pothoff said. "They weren’t really salted and were pretty slick.”

Drivers should anticipate that ice can form on the roads when the temperature is 40 degrees or less, according to the Michigan State Police website.

Any shaded area or an area that has a water source over is susceptible to black ice, according to the state. Morning hours are particularly dangerous.

Mioduszewski said drivers should drive slow during snow storms and plan their driving time wisely.

“Slow down and make sure your headlights are on, even during the day,” he said.