COLUMN: No need for Valentines

Feb. 14 is just another day. What makes it so special? Why does this date cause distress among women?

Whether one is single or in a committed relationship, Valentine's Day should not cause sadness or stress.

I have no boyfriend or Valentine but I will still enjoy the holiday. Instead of crying over missed roses and uneaten chocolates, I choose to spend the special day with people I care about the most.

My friends are the most loyal people I know. Whenever one of us slips into trouble the rest of us are there to fix the problem.

We give each other advice on boys, family troubles and difficult questions. These are the people I love.

I never have to worry about the baggage a relationship can bring. Friends do not argue (for the most part), hold crippling insecurities, or judge. Not having a Valentine is not the end of the world; no woman should be upset because she feels like she has no one.

I know that there are plenty of people in this world that love me. I exchanged gifts with my friends and mailed a card to my father because these are the people in my life who can never be replaced.

I am not bashing those who do have love interests — in fact this day gives an opportunity for couples to get creative. Men should definitely concoct methods of making their lady feel loved and women should not just sit back as there are numerous ways to surprise gentlemen.

Even so, Valentine's Day is simply one day. Showing love and appreciation is something that can be done everyday of the year.

Today, no girl should break out a bucket of French vanilla ice cream and cry while watching "The Notebook." Today we should realize that we are smart and beautiful with or without a card to remind us.

We do not need men to define our worth. If a girl cannot even smile while alone, how can she expect to make someone else smile?

There is a wall in my residence hall that reads, “Who do you love?” On it students listed the people they love most. The first time I saw it, I walked on by. But then I turned around, grabbed a pink marker and wrote “me.”

I am proud to say that I do not have a valentine; I have several who are very close to my heart. Why exchange cards, teddy bears, and candy with one who can hurt me when I can do so with the people who will always be there to offer a hug to cheer me up?