COLUMN: Snyder's budget cuts Michigan's hopes for future

Republican Gov. Rick Snyder released his version of the budget this past Thursday, and just like Lt. Governor Brian Calley warned, it was an “atomic bomb.”

It presents a state where university and higher education funding is cut by 15 percent, but are thrown an “incentive” to not raise tuition past a certain point.

A state where prisons-for-profit are commonplace and corporations make money by locking people up.

A state where revenue sharing to local government is cut so severely that police and firefighters are laid off or cities have to raise taxes.

A state where the Earned Income Tax Credit is eliminated for the working poor.

All of which is being done not just to balance the Michigan budget but also to finance a tax cut for corporations estimated at $1 billion.

All in all, the conservative answer to Michigan's problems is to emulate Mississippi, Kentucky or West Virginia and avoid investing in our state's future whatsoever.

In the other corner is the progressive vision for Michigan. Democrats sometimes reject this vision and team up with Republicans in favor of the pro-corporate agenda, but most are pretty good at doing the right thing.

In a progressive Michigan all government activity is viewed in terms of investments and dividends.

When we invest money into higher education the dividends are economic growth and higher incomes. This attracts talent from across America and will help build a better Michigan.

When we invest into Michigan localities the dividends are cleaner, healthier cities and more police on the beat. This will retain young people who are most interested in city living. Imagine a Detroit that compares to Chicago, Seattle or Minneapolis.

When we invest into common sense corrections facilities the dividends are lower crime and safer neighborhoods.

We must remember there is no example in history where a government that gutted education and public schools, police, and assistance to the working poor started to thrive. It is always those bold governments willing to invest in its people that excelled and prospered.

Michigan can again become an envy of the world. We already have everything we need to get the job done. People all over the world could aspire to move to America and settle in Michigan.

The budget put forth by Gov. Snyder sends a much different message to the world and to Michiganders: Last one out, turn off the lights.