KENNETT: Social networking connects with favorite figures

Even though I tend to write quite a bit a bit about the wonders of social networking, I still feel compelled to share more of the joys that I find come with being a Facebook connoisseur.

A while back, I picked up a book in the humor section of Barnes and Noble called “Canned: How I Lost Ten Jobs in Ten Years and Learned to Love Unemployment.” I wasn’t expecting much from it, but as I read it, I became completely enthralled.

More than just a book of woes by some guy who struggled to stay employed, it was a brave book that was full of refreshing social commentary and criticism.

Having been “canned” myself a few times over the years, I identified with many of the author’s sentiments. I felt a strong connection to him through his words — a strange phenomenon that I don’t often feel when I read something.

I looked up the author, Franklin Schneider, on Facebook immediately after immersing myself in the controversial book, blog and various articles he wrote for the Washington City Paper.

I tend to get this overwhelming urge to type a name in the search bar with most all people I find to be of interest — I even looked up “The Craigslist Killer,” Philip Markoff, after I saw the Lifetime movie about him.

Anyway, I found what appeared to be his legitimate page, friended him, and sent a message that probably came across as a bit crazy and stalker-ish. Really though, as an aspiring author myself, I just wanted to connect in some way with this accomplished fellow I found so interesting.

As it turned out, my message did not go unnoticed. This man who was in the undoubtedly grueling process of writing two more books took the time to talk to me.

He did not just respond with one or two words, either, but actually took an interest in my life. He asked me about where I was headed, shared book suggestions and told me more humorous anecdotes about his life.

I suspect people don’t even think to reach out to their favorite authors, musicians, et cetera, out of fear or out of just not expecting anything to come of it, but what have you got to lose?