COLUMN: Talking over lectures is just plain rude

In every lecture there will be those people — you know, the ones who can’t shut their mouths?

To those people I say, "Prepare to receive a nasty stare, at least if you are anywhere near me."

I am not a perfect student, I don’t get all A’s and devote a ton of time to school, I’ll admit that. What I do spend my time doing though, is my decision, and not anyone else’s.

This is why disruptive people in class really tick me off; apparently, they decided they have control over whether or not myself or those around me get to listen to the lecture being given.

I understand some people are more extroverted than others, but there is a time and place to demonstrate that extroversion, and it is not while someone is trying to teach and other people are trying to learn.

When I come across these obnoxious learning-obstructers, what they are chatting about usually does not at all pertain to the class, or anything remotely substantial. It’s always about some girl who likes their best guy-friend and how they cannot believe he likes her, too.

Really, people? Sometimes overhearing this stuff makes me feel extraterrestrial. I understand gossip can be interesting and yes, it can even be more interesting than the lecture being given, but let people decide that for themselves.

By chatting away without any regard for other people, you are just being plain rude.

I got detentions in middle school and even in high school for talking and laughing in class — but that was grade school. This is college.

While we aren’t beyond serious bouts of immaturity, we are paying big bucks to be sitting in these classrooms, so if you don’t want to pay attention or at least pretend like you are, then please, don’t bother showing up for class.

I’m a visual/auditory learner, so I can sometimes gain more from a lecture than from reading a book, so if there is an important point made in class that is going to help me pass the test, I want to be sure that I hear it. Hard to do when someone is having a gossip session behind me.

I know there are others who feel my pain, and it can be tough to confront these people, but I say do it anyway.

Whatever you do, don’t put up with Britney and Stacey talking about how weird it is that Scott and Jessi love each other.