UPDATED: Man accused of robbing Union Township Wal-Mart, issued six counts

A Shepherd man has been arraigned on six charges and could face more after sheriff’s deputies said he robbed an Isabella County Wal-Mart and assaulted its employees.

Jeff Lynn Graham, 47, allegedly entered at about 7:40 p.m. Tuesday at the 4730 Encore Blvd. business and attempted to leave with several items he did not pay for, according to the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department.

Members of the Wal-Mart Loss Prevention Team observed Graham placing the items in his pockets and inside his pants. The employees then stopped Graham as he was leaving the store.

According to sheriff’s deputies, Graham pulled out pepper spray from his pocket and sprayed the employees with it. Multiple other employees then came forward to assist and two of them were allegedly sprayed as well.

"Pepper spray makes a persons' eyes water and skin burn for a bit, but it causes more of an irritation than serious injuries," Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said.

Mioduszewski said no serious injuries were suffered during the incident.

Wal-Mart was contacted but referred all questions to its corporate offices.

Graham was eventually taken down to the floor by employees and a customer, according to sheriff's deputies.

He said Graham attempted to steal a razor, speakers, men's hair lightener, a salon board, men's Nair and Zegerid pills. The items had an estimated value of $78, Mioduszewski said.

Deputies then arrived and arrested Graham, who is lodged at the Isabella County Jail, 207 Court St., on charges of unarmed robbery, assault and retail fraud.

His bond has been set at $21,000.

Graham was arraigned on one count of unarmed robbery, one count of possession of a dangerous weapon/using a self-defense spray device, one count of resisting and obstructing a police officer, one count of assault and battery, one count of retail fraud in the third degree and one count of disorderly person.

The sheriff's department was assisted by a trooper from the Michigan State Police.