Student to bike across America building houses along the way

a3-slider
Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer Grand Haven alumna Kristen Dyke shows her scrapbook from the Bike and Build she did last summer to Genesee senior Kelly Siegersma and Williamston senior James Slider Sunday evening at Kaya Coffee House. Seigersma and Slider are doing the Bike and Build program this summer.

Summer is a time for relaxing for many students, but James Slider has other plans: To bike from Portland, Maine, to Santa Barbara, Calif.

The Williamston senior is a member of Bike & Build, an organization dedicated to building houses across the country, and will contribute to Habitat for Humanity construction projects along his nationwide bicycle trip.

Over eight seasons, Bike & Build has contributed more than $2.7 million to housing groups to fund projects planned and executed by students. This includes more than $490,000 donated from the summer of 2010.

“Each person on our estimated 30-person team is preparing by raising money for the cause," Slider said. "The money will go toward building equipment, wood, supplies and the overall cost of the trip."

The team will bike from 40 to 100 miles daily starting at 6 a.m. and going until they are ready to rest or hit the next building site, Slider said.

"I think it’s great that students from CMU are participating in this," said Monroe senior Sarah Bialecki. "I just wish there were more publicity. It would reach out to so many different students."

Slider said the primary purpose of the trip is to help build affordable housing for those who cannot afford it. He has given several presentations on affordable living, hoping to spread the word for the cause.

Troy sophomore John Loafman said it is a smart idea to get the group together for a summer of good deeds.

“I think it’s very cool that they are doing this, especially with the economy today," he said. "There are a ton of foreclosures out there so people are in need of affordable housing."

Slider is a cyclist for the Triathlon Club at Central Michigan University. He is looking forward to traveling across the country and meeting new people.

“This experience is going to be super rewarding," he said. "It’s great to know that I’m doing this on my power and there are going to be so many different people I get to meet on this trip across the country"