Softball swept on opening day

Central Michigan softball only scored one run and dropped two games to start the season in Jacksonville, Fla., Friday.

“We need to score runs,” CMU head coach Margo Jonker said. “And we need key ways to score.”

In the first game, senior Kari Seddon pitched six innings and allowed two runs, but CMU lost 2-1 against Jacksonville State University. In Friday’s second game, Jacksonville University blanked the Chippewas 4-0.

Sophomore outfielder Macy Merchant led off CMU’s season by reaching on an error and scoring from an Amanda Patrick sacrifice fly, giving the Chippewas an early 1-0 lead.

Jacksonville State did all of its damage in the top of the sixth. A double and single put runners on and two sacrifice flies scored the game-winning runs.

Seddon finished the opener with nine strike outs, allowing five hits. Tiffany Harbin pitched a complete game for Jacksonville State, striking out six and allowing two hits and one run.

CMU was able to get into scoring position three times on the day from sacrifice bunts. With only five hits in 14 innings, bunts were vital.

“We did a nice job sacrifice bunting,” Jonker said. “That’s the biggest thing stats don’t show.”

Game 2

Immediately after the game, CMU had to prepare for a game against the Jacksonville, the team’s second of the day.

Sophomore Kara Dornbos threw all six innings in the second game and held Jacksonville scoreless until the sixth, when four singles and an error gave the Dolphins four runs for the late lead.

Jonker will look for improvement in her pitching during the rest of the weekend.

“Our pitchers need to get ahead in the count,” Jonker said.

CMU couldn’t get a timely hit, leaving five runners left on base and only scratching out three hits – the same amount of errors they made.

“We need more key hits and sharpen up on defense,” Jonker said.

Saturday, CMU (0-2) will look to ignite the offense that only scored once in 14 innings against both Jacksonville (3-3) and Jacksonville State (4-2) again in another double header beginning at 11 a.m.