Wrestling looks to remain undefeated in MAC

40-0. That was the score last year when the CMU wrestling team defeated Ohio for the 12th time in as many meetings.

The No. 12 Chippewas hope to have similar success Friday when they face the Bobcats in Athens, Ohio, in the first of four consecutive Mid-American Conference matches.

CMU (5-7, 1-0 MAC) come into the match undefeated in the MAC, with its lone conference win coming by a 21-13 victory against Northern Illinois on Jan 6.

“The MAC is real important to us, but nationals are more important,” said junior Scotti Sentes, who comes into the match with a 23-6 record at 133-pounds. “We’ve got to knock off these MAC guys and get in their heads before the tournament so we’ll be in their heads and ready to go.”

Momentum may finally be on CMU’s side, coming off back-to-back wins for the first time all season, after defeating Old Dominion last Sunday in the Royal Rumble and Tumble at McGuirk Arena.

Sophomore 174-pounder Ben Bennett and junior heavyweight Jarod Trice have been two of CMU’s most consistent wrestlers this season, each picking up decisions over ODU. Together, they have built up a combined 41-7 record, including 20-2 in dual meets.

Both ranked Chippewas will be challenged Friday, wrestling the core of the Bobcat lineup. No. 5 Bennett will take on a 22-3 Nick Purdue, and No 2 Trice will wrestle No. 20 Jeremy Johnson, who comes into the match with a 25-8 record.

“Their better wrestlers are at 141, 174, 197 and they’ve got a pretty good heavyweight,” Borrelli said. “We match up with them pretty good at 174 and heavyweight and we want to continue to improve at 141 and 197; I think we’ve been getting better at those weights all year long.”

OU also brings a 20th ranked Germane Lindsey (21-6) at 141 and a 16th ranked Erik Schuth (16-2) at 197.

The Chippewas have had little success on the road so far this season. They won their last road match against Michigan State but are 3-6 this year away from Mount Pleasant.

Senior All-American Mike Miller’s injury problems continue to mount, as the 165-pounder will sit out Friday after missing last week’s match against ODU with a rib injury. After the match, head coach Tom Borelli said Miller will be out indefinitely.

“(Miller’s) getting better, but we don’t have a timetable for his return,” Borrelli said. “He hasn’t even gotten back on the mat yet.”

Ohio (6-3, 2-0 MAC) has been successful so far this season, winning four consecutive matches before dropping their last match to American University 30-10. All-time, the Bobcats are 16-22 against the Chippewas.

“Our guys should know that whenever guys from out own conference compete against us,” Borrelli said. "It’s a big deal if they feel like they can beat us based on our past success"