Wrestling upset at Ohio

It doesn’t happen. It just doesn’t.

The CMU wrestling team doesn’t lose against Mid-American Conference opponents. But that was the case Friday as CMU fell to Ohio 21-17 for just its third loss in 66 conference dual meets.

The No. 12 Chippewas (5-8 overall, 1-1 MAC) snapped a 12-match winning streak against the Bobcats (8-4 overall 3-0 MAC), suffering two defensive falls and an overtime loss, which proved to be too much for CMU.

Head coach Tom Borrelli said it was tough to overcome pin fall losses, especially after 125-pounder Christian Cullinan, and 174-pounder Ben Bennett were ahead in each of their respective matches.

“That’s a nine point swing in each of those matches,” Borrelli said. “You go from gaining three points for your team to them gaining six points for their team. I don’t know that you can overcome that.”

Junior 133-pounder Scotti Sentes was one of the bright spots for the Chippewas winning his fourth match in a row, improving to 24-6 this season. CMU also earned victories from sophomore Donnie Corby, juniors Eric Cubberly and Chad Friend and senior Jarod Trice at 149, 165, 184, and 285 pounds respectively.

The victory for Friend was just his second decision of the season (2-13). His 6-5 win over Ohio’s Ryan Garringer brought the Chippewas back to within four points at 18-14.

Borelli said he’s pleased with Friend’s improvement as the season progresses.

“He’s really coming on right now. He scored three takedowns in that match,” he said. “We’re excited for him, and hopefully he’ll continue to make progress.”

But Friend’s victory was the closest CMU would get as 197-pounder Craig Kelliher fell in the next match to No. 16 Erik Schuth, extending CMU’s deficit to 21-14, forcing Trice to pin his opponent in the heavyweight match to force overtime.

No. 2 Trice defeated No. 20 Jeremy Johnson, but wasn’t able to earn a pin fall, which sealed CMU’s fate, falling to Ohio for the first time in Mount Pleasant since 1998.

Injuries

The Chippewas have been riddled with injuries at key positions all year long. Two-time All-American 165 pounder Mike Miller sat out for the second consecutive match, forcing CMU to make changes in the middle of its lineup. The senior has suffered knee and shoulder injuries that have sidelined him for much of the last two seasons, and Miller is currently on the bench with a rib injury.

Borelli said he has tried to look at the injury bug as a positive. He said with such a young team, he’s been able to move guys around, wrestling them in positions they wouldn’t normally be in.

“Its given us an opportunity to get other guys ready that probably wouldn’t get an opportunity to wrestle,” he said. “That’s actually made our team stronger, and once we get everyone healthy, I think by the end of the year, we’re going to have a strong situation.”

Despite the disappointing record, Borelli said his team is in a good position, and getting better every day.

“I think we need to keep doing what we’re doing. I think our guys are going to peak at the right time of the year,” he said. “I already see them improving a lot this last month of the season.”

The Chippewas return to action on Feb. 13 at home against Buffalo.