Music students perform world-renowned opera 'La Bohème'

jms-laboheme
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Rochester Hills senior Thomas Walkenhorst holds a glass of wine has he performs as Benoit, the landlord, during the first act of La Boheme Sunday afternoon at Staples Family Concert Hall.

Maika Van Oosterhout said "La Bohème" is one of the hardest operas to perform.

The opera by Giuseppe Giacosa and Luigi Illica was performed three times over the weekend in the Music Building's Staples Family Concert Hall. The cast and crew was composed entirely of Central Michigan University students and faculty.

Van Oosterhout, a Harrison junior and vocalist in the chorus, said she was very impressed with everyone's performance.

"A lot of people didn't think we could pull it off," Van Oosterhout said. "I think we surprised a lot of people."

Everyone from the cast and crew put in the work needed for a successful show, she said.

Van Oosterhout said performing "La Bohème" was an interesting experience because she was able to watch the show as an audience member during the fourth act.

"I got to see both points of view," Van Oosterhout said. "I think the audience received it really well. People were laughing in the right spots. People were crying in the right spots. It was really great."

She said if not for the dedication of those involved, it would not have been possible for the show to go as well as it did.

"Everybody did a great job," Van Oosterhout said.

Sterling Heights freshman and violinist Kelli Kulasa said a lot of preparation was demanded for such a challenging performance.

Playing a two-and-a-half hour opera takes a lot of endurance mentally and physically, Kulasa said. She hopes to play music for many years to come.

“I would love to have a side job in an orchestra," she said.

Grosse Ile senior Lara Semetko played the role of Musetta. She said she dreams of pursuing her passion of opera and performing by singing for a historical opera company.

“Any opera that will have me, I’ll do it,” she said.

Semetko said her inspiration comes from the music she sings. She said she likes moving people, and that every piece of music has the ability to touch and inspire.

“It was a great show and everything went well,” she said.