Safety primary concern when snow, ice fell from roof of Celani Hall on Thursday

damagedcar
The windshield of this vehicle was smashed in after snow and ice fell onto it from the roof of Celani Hall Thursday. Six vehicles were damaged and four had to be towed, though nobody was hurt. (Photo courtesy of Tanner Parmentier)

No one was injured when snow and ice damaged parked vehicles next to Celani Hall last week.

Capt. Fred Harris of CMU Police said heavy snow and ice collected on the metal roof of the residence hall from Tuesday’s storm. It melted as the temperature warmed throughout the day and began to fall from the roof on Thursday afternoon.

“Those big sheets of heavy snow and ice came off the roof and damaged several vehicles right next to the building,” Harris said. “I believe they ended up towing four vehicles because of the damage to the hoods (and) windshields ... to prevent further damage to them.”

He said three CMU police officers were on scene to block off the area. Facilities Management also was called, he said.

“They were on site and setting up barricades to keep people out of that area,” Harris said.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, could not be reached for comment. General Counsel Manuel Rupe could not be reached for comment to answer legal inquiries about the damages.

Harris said Residence Life stationed staff by the doorways to make sure students were not coming out and stepping into potential danger from falling snow and ice.

“They were taking safety measures out there to keep students, faculty and staff away from that area,” he said.

Steely Pegg, residence hall director for Fabiano and Celani halls, could not be reached for comment.

Students could only enter Fabiano Hall’s east entrance or the south entrance by Celani Hall until 4 p.m. on Friday. No entrance leading directly into Celani was accessible because of the falling snow and ice hazard.

Tricia Henry, a resident assistant for Woldt Hall, stood guard at an off-limits entrance Thursday evening outside of Fabiano during a shift. Henry said she did not know any of the people whose vehicles were damaged, but she saw pictures of the vehicles after they were hit.

“I thought it was surprising,” the Illinois junior said. “I have never heard of it happening in years before."

Harris said he has been working for CMU Police for five years and he could not recall a situation like this happening before.

Dewitt freshman Lindsay Chestnut took a turn guarding an off-limits entrance outside of Celani Hall. She said she was not aware of snow falling off roofs anywhere else on campus that damaged vehicles.

"It is kind of like a freaky thing," she said.

Janice Trionfi, director of risk management, environmental health and safety, could not be reached for comment to answer inquiries about preventing a similar situation in the future.