Softball shuts out Columbia, Quinnipiac

Junior shortstop Molly Coldren’s offense helped Central Michigan softball dominate Columbia and Quinnipiac Saturday, winning both games of a doubleheader 8-0 in Clearwater, Fla.

Coldren hit 5-for-6 on the day, scoring three runs and driving in six. Coldren came into the game struggling, with only two hits in her 18 at-bats this season.

“Molly has been struggling,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “She came out of that definitely in a banner way.”

There were no bigger hits than when Coldren blasted a grand slam against Quinnipiac (5-6) in the bottom of the first inning.

“(She) started both games with our lead-off hitters getting on base,” Jonker said. “That’s huge - it sets a tone.”

After the bats set the tone, the pitchers threw near flawless games. Sophomores Kara Dornbos and Sarah Patterson both pitched shutouts, allowing three hits combined.

“They’re getting more comfortable in the circle,” Jonker said. “Assistant coach Sami Baugh called a great game and our catchers did a great job of framing pitches to get calls.”

Dornbos was one out away from a no-hitter when Columbia (0-3) third baseman Emily Snodgrass dropped a bunt single to break it up. Jonker didn’t mind the fact Snodgrass bunted down eight runs and one out away from a no-hitter.

“That’s fine, we’re competing, they’re doing whatever they can,” Jonker said. “We’re happy. All that matters is we won.”

Dornbos finished the one-hitter with five strikeouts and only walked one batter. Patterson did her part, striking out five and only giving up two hits.

Jonker was upset Friday after a poor defensive effort, but Saturday was a different story.

“We were much more consistent,” Jonker said. “(Amanda) Patrick made two outstanding plays. One backhand and one between third and shortstop."

Other offensive stars were sophomore Brogan Darwin, who belted her second home run of the season and drove in three runs Saturday. Senior Kara Seddon helped her already stellar batting average going 3-5 at the plate.

CMU (5-5 overall) is now 2-2 in the University of South Florida Under Armor Invitational after losing both games of Friday’s doubleheader. On Sunday, CMU plays one game against Wagner (0-4).

“I’m proud of the way they came back after yesterday,” Jonker said. “We like this a lot better.”