CM Life baseball athlete of the year: Jake Sabol

ek_sportrait_08-copy
Erica Kearns/Staff Photographer

Jake Sabol

The 6-foot 5-inch right-handed pitcher is intimidating on the mound and his senior leadership helped the team get out of an early season funk.

Sabol already has two complete game shutouts under his belt and sports a 3-3 overall record with a 4.10 earned run average.

Acting as the anchor in the weekend pitching staff Sabol has been the Sunday starter for the Chippewas and is key for the team's success as they compete for a second consecutive regular season Mid-American Conference title.

Sabol has a 7-8 career record as a starter and has struck out 33 batters in 52 2/3 innings pitched this season.

Honorable Mention: Trent Howard

Howard has been the ace of the CMU pitching staff this season. With a 1.75 earned run average and a 4-3 overall record, the junior left-hander has been CMU’s most consistent pitcher.

Howard was named MAC West Pitcher of the Week on March 16 and has struck out 74 batters in 67 innings pitched.

On April 15 the 6-foot-2 pitcher struck out the first nine batters he faced against the then first place Kent State.

Honorable Mention: Tyler Hall

The junior third basemen has been a pleasant surprise for the Chippewas this season, holding down the leadoff spot in the lineup with a .335 batting average.

After spending two years at Grand Rapids Community College, Hall made his CMU debut with a triple and an RBI against Florida Gulf Coast in Feb. Hall leads the team with 52 hits and six triples.